Best Free Algorithmic Reverb VST/AU Plugins

This edition of bpb Freeware Studio covers the best freeware algorithmic reverb VST plugins. Convolution reverbs will be covered in a separate article later on (if you need one asap, get Reverberate LE).

Follow the links for screenshots & download info:

Ambience and epicVerb are my two favorite freeware reverb effects. They both sound phenomenal, come with a large amount of presets, and can be tweaked to almost any kind of reverb sound you might need. Keep in mind that they are both a bit more on the CPU-hungry side, though.

epicVerb by Variety Of Sound.

epicVerb by Variety Of Sound.

MVerb, TimeVerb , DX Reverb, OldSkoolVerb and Classic Reverb use far less CPU (especially MVerb!), and still sound very good. They also have rather simple interefaces, making them pretty easy to operate. MVerb and OldSkoolVerb are pretty much my go-to reverbs for channel use.

MVerb by Martin Eastwood.

MVerb by Martin Eastwood.

SpringLine and Spring Reverb are, wait for it… spring reverb emulations! These two are good candidates if you’re looking to get the good old dubby kind of reverb sound. Another interesting one to experiment with is Reverbering, featuring a noise control which can lead to some unusual results.

Reverbering by NUSofting.

Reverbering by NUSofting.

Poor PlateTAL-Reverb-III and MuVerb are great sounding plate reverbs. This kind of stuff sounds great on lead vocals, synth leads, etc. MuVerb is a tad bit more CPU hungry, but it sounds remarkably well!

TAL-Reverb III by Togu Audio Line.

TAL-Reverb III by Togu Audio Line.

Tila2 is a great sounding room reverb unit nonetheless. Definitely uses a fair amount of CPU, but it’s still a really good choice for a room reverb if you have a powerful enough computer.

Tila2 by signaldust.

Tila2 by signaldust.

Many thanks to bpb readers slops and FrozenjaZz for suggesting KR-Reverb FS and Mo’ Verb.

As always, you are welcome to suggest your own favorite freeware reverb in the comments section below! If you’ve enjoyed the article, please help us grow by sharing the link on your favorite social network. Thanks for reading BPB!

Huge Summer Sale @ Loopmasters
Share it like a boss.

About The Author

Tomislav is a musician and a blogger. He writes about free and affordable music production tools on a daily basis here at Bedroom Producers Blog.

11 Comments on "Best Free Algorithmic Reverb VST/AU Plugins"

Notify of

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
slops
slops
5 years 2 months ago

KR-reverb is one of my favorites for longer reverbs.
Worth looking at…!

joe maro
5 years 2 months ago

dude you’re awesome!
wish you would’ve done this 4 years ago when i checked all the free vstplugins on the the planet :D

serious you do a good job here and i hope a lot of people find this information and can use it!!!

keep it up!
joe

zigula
zigula
5 years 2 months ago

epicVerb and Ambience are maybe most serious among these IMO, but newbie can easily mess up with lot of controls which are not so intuitive when talking about reverb phenomena. So i prefer ClassicReverb and mVerb,bacause of very few and easy to undersand pots

FrozenjaZz
5 years 2 months ago

Thanks for your selection, and kudos for your website, I visit it daily, I love it!

I will try MVerb that I did not know.
I often use the following one, I don’t know how it compares to the others

EpicVerb is the best, but so many knobs…

Nekro/Dean
5 years 9 days ago

The only two i can think of is the very old ‘Buzzroom Roomreverb’, Its a one trick pony but i find myself using it often still. Then the other is ‘dasample’s GlaceVerb’, I can not get GlaceVerb to install/run on Windows7 but it works fine on XP and is good a HUGE uber-verbs. Good call on the selection listed. Dean

rpm
rpm
2 years 1 month ago

Is there any shimmer reverb for free?

Dee.P.Tree
Dee.P.Tree
3 months 21 days ago

I think Sanford Reverb (http://www.lesliesanford.com/vst/plugins/) can be added to this list. I have started using it. It sounds good to me.

In addition, I have found that TAL-Reverb 4 sounds good in some of my recent tracks.

We have a post at BPB in 2015 about Sanford Reverb. (http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2015/11/03/sanford-reverb-free/)

Thanks for the great help, BPB Team. It’s, as always, very helpful list.

Regards, Dee.P.Tree