Last updated on September 21st, 2013 at 01:14 pm
In this edition of bpb Freeware Studio, we will be covering the best freeware sidechain compressors in VST/AU plugin format for Windows and Mac.
Follow the links for more info & screenshots:
- Compressive Pro by Martin Eastwood (Windows)
- Density mkII by Variety Of Sound (Windows)
- DualComp by Teragon Audio (Mac, Windows)
- FL4TT3RY 2 by platinumears (Windows)
- MCompressor by MeldaProduction (Mac, Windows)
- Molot by vladg/sound (Mac, Windows)
- ReaComp by Cockos (Windows)
- Side Chain Compressor by slim slow slider (Windows)
- Sidechain Compressor by Christian Budde (Windows)
All of the plugins listed above offer similar functionality, so my suggestion is to test them all out and make sure to use the one which performs best in your setup. My favorite choice is ReaComp, closely followed by Christian Budde’s Sidechain Compressor.
On the other hand, when I just need a quick sidechain compressor setup, I usually go for slim slow slider’s Side Chain Compressor plugin. The GUI clearly indicates how much compression is happening, and extremely easy to get satisfactory results with it.
Mac users will have to pick between DualComp and Mcompressor, both of which are actually pretty good choices for sidechain compression.
Many thanks to bpb reader Jackie for suggesting Density mkII and MCompressor and psilas for suggesting Molot!
Make some great mixes with these freeware sidechain compressors and please don’t forget to share this article on your favorite forums and social networks (you can do that easily by using the buttons below). Support BPB and help us grow!