In this edition of bpb Freeware Studio, I’ve tried covering the best freeware parametric equalizer VST plugins. In case I’ve missed your favorite free parametric EQ, please suggest it in the comments section below.
Note that there is a separate article covering freeware graphic equalizer VST plugins. If you’d like to learn more about different types of EQs check out this great article by Ethan Winer. And here’s my favorite tutorial covering the subject of equalization in digital audio. Ok, on to the freebies now!
Follow the links for more info:
- AQ1 by Audiocation Audio Akademie (Windows)
- BootEQ mkII by Variety Of Sound (Windows)
- ColourEQ by DDMF (Mac, Windows)
- Dust Equalizer by Signaldust (Windows)
- EasyQ by rs-met (Windows)
- Electri-Q (posihfopit edition) by AiXcoustic Creations (Windows)
- Equilibre by AudioTeknikk (Windows)
- Fnequalizer by Oceanturtle (Windows)
- free Queue by VESCO|FX (Mac, Windows)
- Gloria by 1982art (Windows)
- IIEQ by DDMF (Windows)
- MEqualizer by MeldaProduction (Mac, Windows)
- NCL Phase EQ by Matthew Lindsay (Windows)
- NyquistEq by Magnus (Mac, Windows)
- Paris EQ by Matt Creig (Windows)
- PQ33 by J1000 (Windows)
- PushTec 5+1A by leftoverlasagne (Windows)
- ReaEQ by Cockos (Windows)
- Solid4010 by PHOENIXINFLIGHT (Windows)
- SonEQ by Sonimus (Mac, Windows)
My Top 3 picks are SonEQ for creative purposes, ReaEQ for high precision tasks, and EasyQ for all-around use. I also like BootEQ a lot, it’s great for coloring, and IIEQ which is another fantastic plugin and slowly becoming my next go-to EQ.
Many thanks to Luciano and ronnie for suggesting NCL Phase EQ and Solid4010.
Here’s an audio comparison of some of the freeware parametric EQs included in this article. Hopfully I’ll soon make a new file which will include all the plugins.
All the plugins were set to boost 6db at 2kHz, with approximately same Q settings (it’s not the same on all plugins, I’ve tried to match it as closely as possible while listening). Here’s the timeline for the comparison:
- Original loop (0:00 – 0:08)
- IIEQ (0:08 – 0:16)
- Electri-Q (0:16 – 0:24)
- AQ1 (0:24 – 0:32)
- ReaEQ (0:32 – 0:40)
- EasyQ (0:40 – 0:48)
- Solid4010 (0:48 – 0:56)
- MEqualizer (0:56 – 1:04)
- BootEQ (1:04 – 1:12)
- SonEQ (1:12 – 1:20)
- PushTec 5+1A (1:20 – 1:28)
Hope you’ve enjoyed the article and found some nice plugins for your home studio. Leave your thoughts in the comments section below and support BPB by sharing links to this article on your blog, Facebook, Twitter, or favorite forums. Happy mixing!
This article is part of the bpb Freeware Studio series. Each article in the series features a selection of the best freeware VST instruments/effects, or other audio related software in a certain category. Feel free to suggest your own favorites in the comments section below. Enjoy!
Please do not copy the contents of this article elsewhere. Use a link to this page insted. Thanks!Share This! ♥ :