Best Free Stereo Enhancer/Expander VST/AU Plugins

bpb Freeware Studio: Best Free Stereo Enhancer/Expander VST/AU Plugins

Continuing the bpb Freeware Studio series after a bit of pause, here’s a list of the best freeware VST/AU plugins designed for stereo enhancement purposes.

There are plenty of useful free stereo expander tools available both for Windows and Mac which is great, but please be careful – tools like these can either make or seriously break your mix!

Follow the links for screenshots & download info:

My go-to plugin for this sort of stuff is Stereoizer Free. Simple interface and handy controls for preventing phasing issues make it a perfect tool for quick and easy stereo enhancement tasks.

Stereoizer PRO by Hbasm.

Stereoizer PRO by Hbasm.

For those careful and subtle tweaks on full mixes, Rescue  by Variety Of Sound is the way to go. This plugin will help brush up the stereo image slightly, without messing it up like a stereo tsunami. The PRO version has a additional filter controls, useful for keeping the focus in the bass frequencies.

RescueAE by Variety Of Sound.

RescueAE by Variety Of Sound.

Those are my two favorites, but make sure you check out the other plugins on the list too, especially Stereo Tool, bx_solo and MStereoExpander which are often praised on audio forums.

bx_solo by Brainworx.

bx_solo by Brainworx.

And that’s all for today. Did you like the article? Have I missed any good freeware stereo expander plugins? Leave your replies in the comments section below!

Also, please support BPB by spreading the word on your favorite forums and social networks! Thanks for reading everyone, and happy mixing!

Save Big On Bundles @ Loopmasters!
Share it like a boss.

About The Author

Tomislav is a musician and a blogger. He writes about free and affordable music production tools on a daily basis here at Bedroom Producers Blog.

13 Comments on "Best Free Stereo Enhancer/Expander VST/AU Plugins"

Notify of

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
Mihai
Mihai
4 years 9 months ago

Nice list.
You could add there also MidSideMangler from http://www.audioteknikk.net/
Highly recommended.

gLOW-x
gLOW-x
4 years 9 months ago
My fav is Stereoizer too ;) Effective and not destructive. But i only use it on individual instruments. Sometimes, especially with synths with bad onboard effect, sound is too mono. You end disabling them and using outboard ones. But with this plugin, i obtained very good results with weak chorus, too mono reverb… If you want to use this kind of tools on a full mix, find a multiband one and only use it on the mids/highs, not bass domain. GMulti can do multiband stereo widening ;) You can still create a stereo bass with multiband stereo by applying a… Read more »
Simon
Simon
4 years 9 months ago

I’m not an expert on stereo widening, still I use it a lot. For quick widening I mostly use Cubase 6s internal Stereo Enhancer plugin. I didn’t find any phase fuckup even when checking it with a pro analyzing tool.

Can anyone say something about Cubases tool? Of course I use Rescue as well, but only in special situations… I like to keep it simple but I like to keep is as good as possible too. So I’m not sure if I need any other VST to wide my stereo up.

TreDiggy/Shatterface
4 years 1 month ago

Nice article, Thanks I’ll be sure to check them out and add 1 or maybe 2 to my plug in collection. You should do an article on mastering so I can start to learn, Your very good at simplifying things lol

Piler
Piler
3 years 11 months ago

Don’t forget the amazing “Stereo touch” by Voxengo.

stldrms
stldrms
3 years 8 months ago

There’s an old, but great free Stereo Expander vst plugin with a lot of features called C_SuperStereo by Nick Whitehurst. His plugins aren’t really available anymore, but I’ve found a download link for it, if you’d like to check it out:

David
David
2 years 8 months ago

What about SHEPPi Spatial Enhancer modeled after the Algorithmix’ K-Stereo Ambience Processor? Are all these plugins Stereo Haas Effect Ping Pong Inverters?

ksavORG
ksavORG
1 year 6 months ago

c-superstereo is an AMAZING plug. every producer SHOULD HAVE that one . WOW

Al
Al
2 years 7 months ago

Is there a stand-alone program that does stereo widening?

Guillaume
Guillaume
8 months 9 days ago

Hi, I make GFM Psypan http://www.auburnsounds.com/products/Psypan.html
It is a very clean binaural panner.

Basar Ozmen
Basar Ozmen
6 months 2 days ago
Anyone using Spazial by Snythblitz audio? I have some issues with this VST, so I don’t know it is brand-specific issue or a general problem. I have been using Spazial on Reaper. I recently recorded lead guitar over a backing track and exported the project to audio file, namely MP3. What I noticed is that when I play the sound file on my computer, it sounds OK. But when I transfer the MP3 file to my mobile phone; my guitar becomes INAUDIBLE! I mean, the backing track still plays fine, but my guitar is just not there! I go back… Read more »
Matt
Matt
3 months 14 days ago
Your song is stereo (has a Right and Left channel). Your computer playback system is stereo. But your Phone playback is mono (Left + Right channel get added together to make only 1 channel). When things are added together, they can sometimes ‘Phase cancel’. What does this mean?… An audio file consists of samples that represent that sound. Each sample can have a value from -1 to +1. If one channel, lets say Left, of your song is playing a +1 at the same time the Right channel is playing -1, then when they are added together (for instance in… Read more »
wpDiscuz