This edition of bpb Freeware Studio features a list of the best freeware spectrum analyzers in VST plugin format.
Still, if I’ve missed a plugin that you think deserves to be on the list, feel free to mention it in the comments section, and I’ll be more than happy to check it out!
Follow the links for screenshots & download info:
- Fre(a)koscope by Mdsp@Smartelectronix (Mac, Windows)
- FreqAnalyst by Blue Cat Audio (Mac, Windows)
- Inspector by RNDigital (Mac, Windows)
- MAnalyzer by MeldaProduction (Mac, Windows)
- MultiFreek Junior by U.F.O Scientific (Windows)
- MultiInspectorFree by VertexDSP (Mac, Windows)
- Oscarizor by Sugar Audio (Mac, Windows)
- Real Time Analyzer by reFuse Software (Mac)
- Sonogram SG-1 by ag-works (Windows)
- SPAN by Voxengo (Mac, Windows)
- Spectrum Analyzer by Seven Phases (Windows)
So, SPAN is without a doubt my favorite spectrum analyzer. It packs plenty of useful features like m/s analysis, K-metering, and is basically my go-to plugin for this sort of stuff. You’ll find a nice tutorial video on using SPAN, below in this post.
MultiFreek Junior and MultiInspectorFree are also very cool since they are optimized for monitoring multiple signals at the same time – a great feature for detecting clashing frequencies in a mix, visualizing how your bass and kick work together, etc.
Spectrum Analyzer by Seven Phases is pretty simple, easy to use, and has a resizeable GUI. This means you can put plenty of these on a single screen, or put one giant spectrum analyzer on a single screen and thus get all the hot girls for yourself.
Sonogram SG-1 is a bit different, it’s actually a sonogram, also known as a spectrogram, but basically just a different type of spectrum analyzer. I sometime use it to analyze my final mixes, and to check if certain frequencies are too loud.
Finally, many thanks to FiestaRed for suggesting MAnalyzer, another good spectrum analyzer and part of the neat MeldaProduction freeware bundle.
That’s all for now, thanks for reading and see you soon with another selection of the best freeware VST plugins!
This article is part of the bpb Freeware Studio series. Each article in the series features a selection of the best freeware VST instruments/effects, or other audio related software in a certain category. Feel free to suggest your own favorites in the comments section below. Enjoy!