This one took quite a bit of research, but I guess it’s finally ready for publishing (phew!). So, the latest edition of bpb Freeware Studio features a list of the best free granulator VST/AU plugins for Windows and Mac.
The list is split into two parts, where the extended list adds some less conventional granulizer plugins which I think are still pretty awesome. Also, please note that this article features only effects – I’ll be dealing with granular synthesizers soon.
Follow the links for screenshots & download info:
- Argotlunar 2 by Michael Ourednik (Linux, Mac, Windows)
- Fragmental by ndc Plugs (Windows)
- GGrain by GVST (Windows)
- Grain Freeze by Oli Larkin (Windows)
- GrainMaker by ToneCarver (Windows)
- Granulator by Riccardo Sinigaglia (Windows)
- grANALiser by Morfiki (Windows)
- KTGranulator by Koen@Smartelectronix (Mac, Windows)
- Pudding by Tweakbench (Windows)
- sg-grainfed by synthgeek (Windows)
- Smear by ++Audio (Mac, Windows)
Argotlunar 2 and KTGranulator are my two favorite free granulator effects. Both plugins allow lots of control over the grains and are incredibly fun to experiment with. However, Argotlunar has been dissapearing from the web from time to time, so here’s an alternative link in case it goes down again.
Smear is a somewhat different kind of granulator effect. It creates four randomly sized grains from the input signal, which are then further manipulated by the user. It’s also possible to feed the granulated signal back into the buffer. Neat!
Finally, if you’re still wondering what the hell these weird granulator things are, check out this nifty video introduction by How To Make Electronic Music:
And that’s all for today. What’s your favorite granulator VST? Any cool uses for a granulator plugin you’d like to share? Have I missed listing a great plugin? Leave it all in the comments section. Thanks for reading BPB!Share This! ♥ :