Last updated on June 15th, 2014 at 03:13 pm
Follow the links for screenshots & download info:
- Dexed by Digital Suburban (Linux, Mac, Windows)
- DX10 by mda (Mac, Windows)
- EmulTuition by Solcito Música (Windows)
- FEM 1 by miniSoftMusic (Windows)
- Foorius by [email protected] (Windows)
- FMMF by de la Mancha (Windows)
- Ganymed by Stefan Kuhn (Windows)
- Hexter by CuteVST (Linux, Windows)
- ModMod by whitebox (Windows)
- Oxe FM by Oxe Music Software (Windows)
- Purple2 by OdoSynths (Windows)
- Stochaton by Eigentone Research (Mac)
- Uno FM by XSynth (Windows)
- Vivaldi MX by Stefan Kuhn (Windows)
- VOPM by Sam (Linux, Mac, Windows)
- VX7 by SpeedSoft (Windows)
After a long while, OdoSynths plugins are back online, so I’ve added his fantastic Purple2 free FM synthesizer to the list. Also, many thanks to our reader Olivier for sending the SpeedSoft VX7 download link!
de la Mancha’s FMMF is the newest one, reaching 3rd place in the KVR Developer Challenge 2009. It’s a 4 operator FM synth, easy to use, well designed and stable! I couln’t find any presets for it online, but it’s fairly simple to use and make new sounds with – a great synth to start learning FM synthesis.
The fact that it’s not the prettiest looking synth the world, doesn’t prevent Hexter from being an amazingly powerful free FM synthesizer. But what makes this little synth so great is the fact that it can actually load Yamaha DX7 patches via SysEx! Click here to download some of those.
Sam’s VOPM is an emulation of Yamaha’s YM2151 chip – famous for being used in the Sega Genesis console. Anyway, here’s the awesome part – it can load the sounds from almost any Sega game ever made – from Sonic to Castlevania! Click here to learn how it’s done!
Another one I really like using is Oxe FM, a great 8 operator FM synth made by Oxe Music Software. If you’re into classic 80’s sounds, Ann Banks is the place for you.
If simple is your game, check out DX10 by mda – nice sounding, simple and lightweight freeware emulation of Yamaha’s DX series. It’s also included in Image Line’s FL Studio as Fruity DX10. Here’s a DX10 demo video by gearwire:
Check out the other synths on the list too and please suggest your favorite free FM synths in the comments section below. Support BPB by sharing links to this article on your blog, Facebook, Twiter and your favorite forums! Thanks!
This article is part of the bpb Freeware Studio series. Each article in the series features a selection of the best freeware VST instruments/effects, or other audio related software in a certain category. Feel free to suggest your own favorites in the comments section below. Enjoy!