IK Multimedia offers the T-RackS Classic Clipper (€49.99 value) plugin as a FREE download to all new and existing email subscribers.
T-RackS Classic Clipper typically costs €49.99, but IK Multimedia lets everyone interested claim a free license until June 29th, 2021.
Unlike a compressor or a limiter, a clipper uses soft clipping to tame the excess volume peaks. As a result, the process is potentially more transparent than dynamic range compression. As such, it is often useful as a mixing tool for achieving more loudness.
Even mastering engineers sometimes use clipping to boost the loudness of a mix. I run most drum tracks through a clipper to catch any rogue volume spikes before sending the drum buss to a compressor.
As far as clipper plugins go, T-RackS Classic Clipper by IK Multimedia is one of the more flexible options on the market. It lets you adjust the clipping curve, so it’s possible to get multiple types of distortion with the plugin. When set to soft, the effect is similar to analog tape clipping.
Here’s how to claim your free copy of T-RackS Classic Clipper:
- Log in or register an IK Multimedia user account
- Enter your User Area, and a pop-up will appear
- Follow the instructions to join the newsletter and redeem your product
- Download and/or open the IK Product Manager
- Log into your account and select Manage My Products
- Under Software, download and authorize in the T-RackS 5 section
- Open up your DAW or the T-RackS 5 CS standalone application and enjoy!
Classic Clipper is part of IK Multimedia’s popular T-RackS plugin suite. It features a collection of plugins designed for mixing and mastering, ranging from equalizers and compressors to creative effects and sound design tools.
The software is available in VST2, VST3, AU, and AAX plugin formats for compatible digital audio workstations on Windows and macOS. Only 64-bit plugin hosts are supported.
More info: Classic Clipper (FREE until June 29th, 2021)